South Lebanon Historical Society Inc.

southlebanonhistoricalsociety.webs.com

News

Minutes: 10/14/2014

Posted on October 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  John Spicer

  Sara Wilson

  Alejandra

  Willie Montgomery

  Nellie Montgomery

  Willard Spicer

  John Moore

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

  We discussed the final preparations for our fall festival: H&R Block is donating two cases of water.  John Moore will set up a slide show at the festival that will feature our raffle items.  He also acquired two Red's 2015 Opening Day tickets for our raffle.  We have 2015 laminated calendars ready to sell.  Sara suggested passing out flyers at area churches to make sure everyone is aware of the self-defense class that will be offered.  Alejandra volunteered to be a judge at the pageant on the 18th.  The winners will be announced during the festival.  Festival flyers have been distributed around South Lebanon businesses and signs will be posted throughout town.  We are going to ask Mr. Barrett if we can hang a sign at his station which would be a good focal point.  We are meeting at the school on Friday the 24th to set up.

  We also discussed having an art/photo contest for South Lebanon residents.  It would be a way to get the community involved in the history of our town and would highlight our talented South Lebanon residents.  The winning art could then be displayed in our museum.

  Maryan spoke with Vickie Perry from the Warren County Grants Administration about the possibility of our society applying for a grant.

  Jim gave his treasurer's report.

Minutes: 09/16/2014

Posted on September 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Phyllis Anderson

  Willard Spicer

  John Spicer

  John Moore

  Willie Montgomery

  Nellie Montgomery

  Sara Wilson

  Scott Doughman

  Alejandra

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     John Moore gave each of us a DVD backup of our SLHS files in case something was to happen to our web site.  He printed and laminated certificates that Darlene Rogers will present at our fall festival to those who helped with her home repairs.  He also made business cards for the office holders and considers the supplies (toner, etc.) he uses as a donation to the society.

     Maryan presented the financial report since our treasurer was not present.  Darlene gave Maryan a donation check.

     The mural project got underway on September 11 with the clearing of weeds around the barn that will be used near the bike trail.  The school board is meeting tonight to discuss the art history project and to make further plans.  Maryan is checking with Porter Paints to see if they will make a donation of paint for the project.

     Alejandra attended our meeting and informed us of the plans she has for the property she purchased across the river.  She is more than willing to let us use an area of her building to display South Lebanon's history.  She is also participating in our fall festival by providing a portion of the food for the event.

     We briefly discussed the possibility of using the former Hogan's Restaurant building as a museum.

     Phyllis was elected to be in charge of the food for the festival.  We discussed the menu which will include Chubby's Pizza, soup beans and cornbread, nachos and cheese, hotdogs, donuts, and brownies.  Maryan will check on places where we can either get donations of beverages or at least be able to purchase them at a discount.  Debbie is providing the paper plates, cups, and napkins. 

 

Minutes: 08/19/2014

Posted on August 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  Donnie Poe

  Willard Spicer

  Phyllis Anderson

  Pam Thrasher

  John Spicer

  Scott Doughman

  John Moore

  Ginger Spicer

  David Lapp

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     Maryan informed us that Lebanon Citizens National Bank made a $50 donation for our fall festival.  They have always been supportive.

     Jim presented our financial report.  A Pay Pal account was set up on Maryan's computer to sell raffle tickets for the festival.  She is delegating that duty to Jim.  Darlene gave Jim the donation money ($54) from the picture cd's that were made available at the recent South Lebanon School Reunion.

     We now have three vendors lined up for our fall festival, and the bands are confirmed to play.  The Sheriff's Office has agreed to do a self-defense demonstration.

     We discussed the plan to have the art students from Kings High School paint murals on some buildings along the bike trail.  John Spicer suggested having an art contest for the kids as a way to raise money.

     Maryan and a few other SLHS members visited the Friend's Museum in Waynesville to get an idea of how they operate.  The visit was very informative.  The museum curator showed Maryan the newsletter they publish, and he suggested a newsletter is something we might want to do.  We all agreed with Maryan that this would be a good way of informing the community of our society, so she and John Moore are going to get started on one.  We plan to start out with a yearly newsletter for now.

      The rest of the meeting was a workshop to make raffle baskets for the festival.

Minutes: 07/15/2014

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  John Spicer

  Willard Spicer

  Ginger Spicer

  Pam Thrasher

  John Thrasher

  John Moore

  Scott Doughman

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     Thanks to Maryan's efforts, South Lebanon is now included on the Ohio History Central site which is an honor for our town.  Historical Society members, John Moore and Darlene Carter, wrote a brief history of South Lebanon which was posted on the site.  Check it out: www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/South Lebanon.

     We discussed our upcoming fall festival.  We now have five bands lined up to play.  Maryan is working on getting Mark Worley to do a kick-boxing demonstration and thinks he will also donate a lesson certificate for us to raffle.  The Community Church will be doing their annual Trunk or Treat on festival day, and our pageant event is on schedule.  Willard is having 20 copies of the Fred's Mushroom Plant brochure made to sell at the festival, and we can take orders for any beyond that.  We are making a 2015 calendar and a CD of photos to sell.  The Spicer's are donating a day of fishing at their lake for our raffle.

     Going through our donations of documents on our Wednesday workshops at the school has provided an abundance of news articles and information which John Moore has been posting on our site.  He is revamping some of the pages and asks for anyone who is able to help us identify people in the pictures posted to contact us.  He has had a lot of requests from people for copies of pictures.  We discussed setting up a system to sell them.  John ordered the hand-held scanner that we talked about at our last meeting.

     Maryan is moving forward with her plan to have murals of South Lebanon's historic places/people painted on buildings near the bike trail.  She is working with the Kings High School art director on setting up the designs that his students will create.  She has permission from Charity Bishop to use an old barn on her property, and the lady who is buying the place on South Main Street (across the river) has agreed to a mural on a side of her building.  This person is very interested in the history of our town and wants to be involved in helping our society.  She may let us use a portion of her building as a small museum/gift shop.

     There is an aerial photo of South Lebanon that is currently displayed in Lebanon Citizen's Columbus Avenue branch.  Pam Thrasher is going to contact branch manager, Bill Childers, about donating that photo to our museum.

     We plan to work on raffle baskets for the fall festival at our next meeting. 

Minutes: 06/17/2014

Posted on June 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Pam Thrasher

  John Moore

  Scott Doughman

  John Spicer

  Willard Spicer

  Willie Montgomery

  Don Norman

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

We discussed plans for our fall festival: John Moore is having signs made for the festival.  We decided not to revert to its old name of The Heritage Festival but to continue to call it The South Lebanon Fall Festival.  Maryan is going to schedule a work day for us to work on raffle baskets, and she has lined up two raffle items that she plans to start selling chances on before the festival.  One is a golf four-some at River's Bend and the other is lunch with Warren County Prosecutor, David Fornshell.  She will have Darlene post these items on the county's web page.  Willard has an old brochure from Fred's Mushroom Plant that he is having copied for us to sell, and he may raffle a day of fishing at Spicer's Lake.  Maryan has the festival liability paperwork ready and several bands lined up for entertainment.  Alex is in charge of the pageant and everything for it is on schedule.

The Kings Mills Historical Society is joining forces with us, and we welcome them wholeheartedly.  It gives us a chance to combine the history we have shared with them since the King's Powder Company came into existence.

Maryan asked Darlene to get some quotes on scanners.  We need a scanner that will allow us to easily scan books.

We discussed our mobile museum.  Maryan contacted the Community Center and they are on board with us displaying some of our items.  The Post Office will let us display also, but they have to be postal-related items.  Maryan is going to contact the town administrator for permission to use the Community Center.

Starbuck's, that will soon be opening in the Target/Kohl's area, has asked permission from us to use in their store the picture that we have posted on our web of the South Lebanon Train Depot.  They agreed to acknowledge the South Lebanon Historical Society as its donor.

Minutes: 05/20/2014

Posted on May 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Jim Bowman

Rollin Spicer

Ginger Spicer

Willard Spicer

John Spicer

Phyllis Anderson

Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

Maryan contacted River's Bend PGA as a possible sponsor for our historical society but hasn't yet heard back from them.  She also emailed the owners of a house for sale on Main Street asking if they would be willing to lease it to us for a museum.  The location would be perfect with the bike trail traffic and the expectation of growth in that area.  She has not yet had a response from them.

We discussed the amphitheater plan that was submitted to the steering committee and how it would be an asset to our town.

We talked about the difficulties of getting homes/buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.  It can take six months or longer just to get an historical marker.  We also discussed applying for grants through the county to fund our projects.  A sample grant application and list of guidelines was distributed for review.

John suggested we (SLHS) should participate in the upcoming American Heritage Craftsman & Artisan Show on July 18, 19, & 20 at the Kings Island Resort & Conference Center.  We could set up a table to display some of our artifacts and promote the SLHS at the same time.

We discussed having some Saturday workshops to organize our artifacts.  There have been a lot of recent donations which we need to sort through and catalog as well as frame, etc.

Maryan suggested having a "traveling" display of our artifacts until we get a permanent building for our museum.  For instance, we could set up a themed display at the post office (or other location) and change the theme monthly.  This would give the public an idea of what we're trying to accomplish, educate them on some of our town's history, and (hopefully) spark some interest in joining our society or contributing artifacts.

Contrary to our last meeting minutes, we are having our fall festival and pageant.  It is scheduled for October 25th at the South Lebanon Community Center.  We will have our usual concessions, raffles, and entertainment.  Quincy Wiley is confirmed to perform, and the American Rebels will if their schedule permits.  Darlene is going to contact The Rejects (a 50's/60's-music band) to see if they are available.  Now is the time to start gathering raffle items, crafting, and making plans for this event.

Because Maryan's property was once a meeting site for the Knights of Pythias, she contacted the organization, and they added South Lebanon to their national register.  They said they would donate swords and rugs for our museum.

Darlene shared picture copies of Fred's Mushroom Plant taken by a photographer in 1978 that she discovered on his blog.  The photographer has agreed to print some or all of these pictures and donate them to our museum.

Minutes: 03/18/2014

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

John Spicer

Willard Spicer

Ginger Spicer

Scott Doughman

Alex Cook

Beth Bolling

Sara Wilson

Kim Flaugher

Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop, King Ave.

Order of Business:

Maryan read the SLHS treasurer's report provided by Jim Bowman.  Recent membership dues for Dave and Peggy Allen and some donations will be added to our current balance.

A sponsorship letter was passed around for everyone's suggestions/approval.  Maryan will be sending the form letter to various corporations asking them for sponsorship of the South Lebanon Historical Society.  She also encouraged us to distribute the letter to anyone we think would consider helping in our work to promote/preserve our town.

Maryan shared a picture of a suggestion, submitted by John Moore, for a sign that would be located at the bike trail in South Lebanon.  Scott pointed out that over 400,000 visitors pass through our town via the bike trail.  South Lebanon has little to offer these visitors except shade.  We discussed how a sign would, at least, acquaint the visitors with the town's businesses and point out historical locations.  Suggestions were made on how the bike trail area in town could be improved.  Adding a water fountain would be a good addition.

Sara Wilson and Kim Flaugher (visitors to this meeting) shared a few ideas they have for the town and expressed how they would like to work with us.  They would like to start a garden club, a community vegetable garden, and a library (we currently have a summer library) within the next two years.  They are organizing a street clean-up day in April.

We discussed the progress of Darlene Rogers' home repairs.  The deadline for having the work completed has been extended to May 1.

We discussed the 2014 quilt show and the fall festival.  Maryan will check with Mary Alice Pare on the quilt show as to whether or not the historical society will host/be involved.  Since we may no longer have use of the school, our fall festival plans will have to be determined.

Maryan presented short-term goals for spring/summer: A sign for the bike trail, a sign at the entrance to town, and completion of the Rogers' repairs so that Darlene can remain in her home and one small bit of South Lebanon's history can be preserved.

April 16-2013

Posted on April 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Alexandra Cook

James Bowman

Debbie Bush

Breanna Mayne

Maryan Harrison

Kris Cook

Dalton Bates

Willard Spicer

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

Laury K. Headly Angel

Kimberly Headly Bates

Location:

The South Lebanon Historical Society office

Order of Business:

  • Display cases donated by Jones Repair Services for documents and artifacts to be displayed in our office
  • Quilt show volunteers - Thursday & Friday -Alexandra Cook                        Saturday- Jim Bowman
  • Still need for file cabinets for SLHS office
  • Possible donation of exterior sign by Laury K. Headly Angel of TOGA
  • Request for village ordinace on signs
  • Ideas discussed for fall festival: Kona Ice truck, TOGA demonstration booth, etc
  • Request for additional information for 2013 South Lebanon Reunion luncheon and make that information available to public
  • Village photographs requested for display
  • Additional volunteers needed for the Quilt Show; community service hours can be earned

March 19-2013

Posted on April 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Alexandra Cook

Ricque Childs

Adam Johnson

Debbie Bush

Maryan Harrison

Jeff Burton

Willard Spicer

Phyllis Anderson

Location:

The South Lebanon Historical Society Office

Order of Business:

  • 501C3 bylaws and added wording discussed
  • Lowes fundraiser application denied (per Lowes); application being resubmitted by Jeff Burton
  • Adam Johnson may be able to provide contacts for possible fireworks display for fall festival
  • Contacts needed for car show for fall festival
  • Generator needed for band to be adjacent to the river for fall festival
  • Quilt show volunteers needed
  • Calendars for fundraiser; discussion of different styles and items included
  • Historical walk discussed; possible homes and landmarks included
  • Contacts needed on information on operating the old P.A. system in the South Lebanon Historical Society office
  • Desicion made to combine the South Lebanon Historical Society and South Lebanon Historical Association Face Book Page

February 19-2013

Posted on April 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

James Bowman

Alexandra Cook

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Jeff Burton

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

Savannah Cook

Location:

South Lebanon Historical Society Office (Old South Lebanon Elementary school)

Order of Business:

  • 5013C added amendment
  • insurance quotes debated ; agreed upon rate and plan
  • Applications for grants discussed and permission granted to move forward
  • Fundraising ideas discussed
  • Pageant arrangements discussed for 2013 Little Miss South Lebanon Pageant
  • Request for aeral view of South Lebanon from administration building discussed
  • South Lebanon Reunion Luncheon may possibly being moved to South Lebanon for August 2013 date.
  • Request for timeline for when village became a "dry" community
  • Request for flood plain maps and dates of decisions
  • Discussion for a historical walk and ghost hunt for fall