South Lebanon Historical Society Inc.

southlebanonhistoricalsociety.webs.com

News


view:  full / summary

Minutes: 10/14/2014

Posted on October 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  John Spicer

  Sara Wilson

  Alejandra

  Willie Montgomery

  Nellie Montgomery

  Willard Spicer

  John Moore

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

  We discussed the final preparations for our fall festival: H&R Block is donating two cases of water.  John Moore will set up a slide show at the festival that will feature our raffle items.  He also acquired two Red's 2015 Opening Day tickets for our raffle.  We have 2015 laminated calendars ready to sell.  Sara suggested passing out flyers at area churches to make sure everyone is aware of the self-defense class that will be offered.  Alejandra volunteered to be a judge at the pageant on the 18th.  The winners will be announced during the festival.  Festival flyers have been distributed around South Lebanon businesses and signs will be posted throughout town.  We are going to ask Mr. Barrett if we can hang a sign at his station which would be a good focal point.  We are meeting at the school on Friday the 24th to set up.

  We also discussed having an art/photo contest for South Lebanon residents.  It would be a way to get the community involved in the history of our town and would highlight our talented South Lebanon residents.  The winning art could then be displayed in our museum.

  Maryan spoke with Vickie Perry from the Warren County Grants Administration about the possibility of our society applying for a grant.

  Jim gave his treasurer's report.

Minutes: 09/16/2014

Posted on September 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Phyllis Anderson

  Willard Spicer

  John Spicer

  John Moore

  Willie Montgomery

  Nellie Montgomery

  Sara Wilson

  Scott Doughman

  Alejandra

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     John Moore gave each of us a DVD backup of our SLHS files in case something was to happen to our web site.  He printed and laminated certificates that Darlene Rogers will present at our fall festival to those who helped with her home repairs.  He also made business cards for the office holders and considers the supplies (toner, etc.) he uses as a donation to the society.

     Maryan presented the financial report since our treasurer was not present.  Darlene gave Maryan a donation check.

     The mural project got underway on September 11 with the clearing of weeds around the barn that will be used near the bike trail.  The school board is meeting tonight to discuss the art history project and to make further plans.  Maryan is checking with Porter Paints to see if they will make a donation of paint for the project.

     Alejandra attended our meeting and informed us of the plans she has for the property she purchased across the river.  She is more than willing to let us use an area of her building to display South Lebanon's history.  She is also participating in our fall festival by providing a portion of the food for the event.

     We briefly discussed the possibility of using the former Hogan's Restaurant building as a museum.

     Phyllis was elected to be in charge of the food for the festival.  We discussed the menu which will include Chubby's Pizza, soup beans and cornbread, nachos and cheese, hotdogs, donuts, and brownies.  Maryan will check on places where we can either get donations of beverages or at least be able to purchase them at a discount.  Debbie is providing the paper plates, cups, and napkins. 

 

Minutes: 08/19/2014

Posted on August 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  Donnie Poe

  Willard Spicer

  Phyllis Anderson

  Pam Thrasher

  John Spicer

  Scott Doughman

  John Moore

  Ginger Spicer

  David Lapp

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     Maryan informed us that Lebanon Citizens National Bank made a $50 donation for our fall festival.  They have always been supportive.

     Jim presented our financial report.  A Pay Pal account was set up on Maryan's computer to sell raffle tickets for the festival.  She is delegating that duty to Jim.  Darlene gave Jim the donation money ($54) from the picture cd's that were made available at the recent South Lebanon School Reunion.

     We now have three vendors lined up for our fall festival, and the bands are confirmed to play.  The Sheriff's Office has agreed to do a self-defense demonstration.

     We discussed the plan to have the art students from Kings High School paint murals on some buildings along the bike trail.  John Spicer suggested having an art contest for the kids as a way to raise money.

     Maryan and a few other SLHS members visited the Friend's Museum in Waynesville to get an idea of how they operate.  The visit was very informative.  The museum curator showed Maryan the newsletter they publish, and he suggested a newsletter is something we might want to do.  We all agreed with Maryan that this would be a good way of informing the community of our society, so she and John Moore are going to get started on one.  We plan to start out with a yearly newsletter for now.

      The rest of the meeting was a workshop to make raffle baskets for the festival.

Minutes: 07/15/2014

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Debbie Bush

  Jim Bowman

  John Spicer

  Willard Spicer

  Ginger Spicer

  Pam Thrasher

  John Thrasher

  John Moore

  Scott Doughman

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

     Thanks to Maryan's efforts, South Lebanon is now included on the Ohio History Central site which is an honor for our town.  Historical Society members, John Moore and Darlene Carter, wrote a brief history of South Lebanon which was posted on the site.  Check it out: www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/South Lebanon.

     We discussed our upcoming fall festival.  We now have five bands lined up to play.  Maryan is working on getting Mark Worley to do a kick-boxing demonstration and thinks he will also donate a lesson certificate for us to raffle.  The Community Church will be doing their annual Trunk or Treat on festival day, and our pageant event is on schedule.  Willard is having 20 copies of the Fred's Mushroom Plant brochure made to sell at the festival, and we can take orders for any beyond that.  We are making a 2015 calendar and a CD of photos to sell.  The Spicer's are donating a day of fishing at their lake for our raffle.

     Going through our donations of documents on our Wednesday workshops at the school has provided an abundance of news articles and information which John Moore has been posting on our site.  He is revamping some of the pages and asks for anyone who is able to help us identify people in the pictures posted to contact us.  He has had a lot of requests from people for copies of pictures.  We discussed setting up a system to sell them.  John ordered the hand-held scanner that we talked about at our last meeting.

     Maryan is moving forward with her plan to have murals of South Lebanon's historic places/people painted on buildings near the bike trail.  She is working with the Kings High School art director on setting up the designs that his students will create.  She has permission from Charity Bishop to use an old barn on her property, and the lady who is buying the place on South Main Street (across the river) has agreed to a mural on a side of her building.  This person is very interested in the history of our town and wants to be involved in helping our society.  She may let us use a portion of her building as a small museum/gift shop.

     There is an aerial photo of South Lebanon that is currently displayed in Lebanon Citizen's Columbus Avenue branch.  Pam Thrasher is going to contact branch manager, Bill Childers, about donating that photo to our museum.

     We plan to work on raffle baskets for the fall festival at our next meeting. 

Minutes: 06/17/2014

Posted on June 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

  Maryan Harrison

  Pam Thrasher

  John Moore

  Scott Doughman

  John Spicer

  Willard Spicer

  Willie Montgomery

  Don Norman

  Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

We discussed plans for our fall festival: John Moore is having signs made for the festival.  We decided not to revert to its old name of The Heritage Festival but to continue to call it The South Lebanon Fall Festival.  Maryan is going to schedule a work day for us to work on raffle baskets, and she has lined up two raffle items that she plans to start selling chances on before the festival.  One is a golf four-some at River's Bend and the other is lunch with Warren County Prosecutor, David Fornshell.  She will have Darlene post these items on the county's web page.  Willard has an old brochure from Fred's Mushroom Plant that he is having copied for us to sell, and he may raffle a day of fishing at Spicer's Lake.  Maryan has the festival liability paperwork ready and several bands lined up for entertainment.  Alex is in charge of the pageant and everything for it is on schedule.

The Kings Mills Historical Society is joining forces with us, and we welcome them wholeheartedly.  It gives us a chance to combine the history we have shared with them since the King's Powder Company came into existence.

Maryan asked Darlene to get some quotes on scanners.  We need a scanner that will allow us to easily scan books.

We discussed our mobile museum.  Maryan contacted the Community Center and they are on board with us displaying some of our items.  The Post Office will let us display also, but they have to be postal-related items.  Maryan is going to contact the town administrator for permission to use the Community Center.

Starbuck's, that will soon be opening in the Target/Kohl's area, has asked permission from us to use in their store the picture that we have posted on our web of the South Lebanon Train Depot.  They agreed to acknowledge the South Lebanon Historical Society as its donor.

Minutes: 05/20/2014

Posted on May 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Jim Bowman

Rollin Spicer

Ginger Spicer

Willard Spicer

John Spicer

Phyllis Anderson

Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop

Order of Business:

Maryan contacted River's Bend PGA as a possible sponsor for our historical society but hasn't yet heard back from them.  She also emailed the owners of a house for sale on Main Street asking if they would be willing to lease it to us for a museum.  The location would be perfect with the bike trail traffic and the expectation of growth in that area.  She has not yet had a response from them.

We discussed the amphitheater plan that was submitted to the steering committee and how it would be an asset to our town.

We talked about the difficulties of getting homes/buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.  It can take six months or longer just to get an historical marker.  We also discussed applying for grants through the county to fund our projects.  A sample grant application and list of guidelines was distributed for review.

John suggested we (SLHS) should participate in the upcoming American Heritage Craftsman & Artisan Show on July 18, 19, & 20 at the Kings Island Resort & Conference Center.  We could set up a table to display some of our artifacts and promote the SLHS at the same time.

We discussed having some Saturday workshops to organize our artifacts.  There have been a lot of recent donations which we need to sort through and catalog as well as frame, etc.

Maryan suggested having a "traveling" display of our artifacts until we get a permanent building for our museum.  For instance, we could set up a themed display at the post office (or other location) and change the theme monthly.  This would give the public an idea of what we're trying to accomplish, educate them on some of our town's history, and (hopefully) spark some interest in joining our society or contributing artifacts.

Contrary to our last meeting minutes, we are having our fall festival and pageant.  It is scheduled for October 25th at the South Lebanon Community Center.  We will have our usual concessions, raffles, and entertainment.  Quincy Wiley is confirmed to perform, and the American Rebels will if their schedule permits.  Darlene is going to contact The Rejects (a 50's/60's-music band) to see if they are available.  Now is the time to start gathering raffle items, crafting, and making plans for this event.

Because Maryan's property was once a meeting site for the Knights of Pythias, she contacted the organization, and they added South Lebanon to their national register.  They said they would donate swords and rugs for our museum.

Darlene shared picture copies of Fred's Mushroom Plant taken by a photographer in 1978 that she discovered on his blog.  The photographer has agreed to print some or all of these pictures and donate them to our museum.

Minutes: 04/15/2014

Posted on April 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Doug Glass

David Lapp

Willard Spicer

John Spicer

Phyllis Anderson

Peggy Allen

Rollin Spicer

Sara Wilson

Ginger Spicer

Jim Bowman

Angie Bowman

Darlene Carter

Location: John Spicer's Workshop, King Ave.

Order of Business:

We discussed the repair work at Darlene Rogers' house.  The outside electrical work has been completed.  Mr. Browning donated his labor but requested donations to cover the cost for parts which exceeded $400.00.  Ginger offered to pay half of those costs if Mr. Browning would cover the rest.

Maryan asked Darlene to research how the county distributes money for grants and also how to apply for grants to help the SLHS.

Jim passed around the SLHS treasurer's report.

Sara Wilson is our newest member.

Maryan asked everyone to email the members of the town council and let them know how we feel about preservation.

Peggy presented the plans that she and a group of other teachers from SLE have for Summer Nights in the Village.  They have July targeted for the first event (details are still pending).  They will see how the first event works out before scheduling future events.  It will be held at the Veterans' Park across from the old school.

Peggy said the summer library will be opening after the school year ends.  She talked about how the library has been a positive influence on the town and how the kids are encouraged to read.  Chubby's Pizza provides ice cream coupons to the library as an incentive.  We all agreed that Dennis (owner of Chubby's) is awesome!

Maryan asked Sara to contact Morgan's Canoe and Lowe's about possibly helping us fund flower boxes for the bridge that crosses the river.  David suggested that this is something we (SLHS) should support.  We voted unanimously to fund/help fund the flower boxes from our treasury.

We, again, discussed a sign for the bike trail which could list points of interest in the town.  John will check with a company in Mason to get a cost estimate.

There will not be a quilt show or fall festival this year.  We discussed other fund-raising ideas such as spaghetti dinners or having movie nights.  Maryan has a projector and John has a popcorn machine.  These ideas would not only help fund our society but would be ways of getting the community together. 

Sara reminded us of the clean-up walk which is scheduled for April 26th from 2-4 p.m.

Minutes: 03/18/2014

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Debbie Bush

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

John Spicer

Willard Spicer

Ginger Spicer

Scott Doughman

Alex Cook

Beth Bolling

Sara Wilson

Kim Flaugher

Darlene Carter

Location: Spicer's Workshop, King Ave.

Order of Business:

Maryan read the SLHS treasurer's report provided by Jim Bowman.  Recent membership dues for Dave and Peggy Allen and some donations will be added to our current balance.

A sponsorship letter was passed around for everyone's suggestions/approval.  Maryan will be sending the form letter to various corporations asking them for sponsorship of the South Lebanon Historical Society.  She also encouraged us to distribute the letter to anyone we think would consider helping in our work to promote/preserve our town.

Maryan shared a picture of a suggestion, submitted by John Moore, for a sign that would be located at the bike trail in South Lebanon.  Scott pointed out that over 400,000 visitors pass through our town via the bike trail.  South Lebanon has little to offer these visitors except shade.  We discussed how a sign would, at least, acquaint the visitors with the town's businesses and point out historical locations.  Suggestions were made on how the bike trail area in town could be improved.  Adding a water fountain would be a good addition.

Sara Wilson and Kim Flaugher (visitors to this meeting) shared a few ideas they have for the town and expressed how they would like to work with us.  They would like to start a garden club, a community vegetable garden, and a library (we currently have a summer library) within the next two years.  They are organizing a street clean-up day in April.

We discussed the progress of Darlene Rogers' home repairs.  The deadline for having the work completed has been extended to May 1.

We discussed the 2014 quilt show and the fall festival.  Maryan will check with Mary Alice Pare on the quilt show as to whether or not the historical society will host/be involved.  Since we may no longer have use of the school, our fall festival plans will have to be determined.

Maryan presented short-term goals for spring/summer: A sign for the bike trail, a sign at the entrance to town, and completion of the Rogers' repairs so that Darlene can remain in her home and one small bit of South Lebanon's history can be preserved.

Minutes: 02/18/2014

Posted on February 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

Willard Spicer

Phyllis Anderson

Gail Traylor

Darlene Carter

Location:

Maryan Harrison's house

Order of Business:

We discussed the CLG (Certified Local Government) and how a residence/building has to have been a significant function to a community or reference a significant person or event in order to be qualified to be on the National Register of Historic Places.  Maryan read us a list of their other guidelines.

The progress/repair of Darlene Rogers' home is delayed due to a property line issue with the Village.

Maryan shared the proposal she made to the Warren County Planning Commission for the construction of an amphitheater near the river which could be funded through grants from the Park's Service.  Her proposal also included plans for bike trail tours, historical signage for the town, gas-lit street lamps, and establishing a business district.

At the request of the Warren County Planning Commission, Maryan will be presenting to them the results of the South Lebanon questionnaire she posted.  This will give them a better prospective on the thoughts/concerns of the citizens of South Lebanon which should help in the process of moving South Lebanon forward.

Minutes: 12/17/2013

Posted on December 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM Comments comments (0)

Attendance:

Maryan Harrison

James Bowman

Willie Montgomery

Nellie Montgomery

Debbie Bush

Phyllis Anderson

David Lapp

Willard Spicer

Darlene Carter

Location:

Chubby's Pizza

Order of Business:

We discussed the emails between Maryan and Gary Vidmar regarding the town council's decision to charge us for our use of the school.  We decided not to pay.  We will meet elsewhere throughout the winter and only meet at the school during the summer months when the South Lebanon Summer Library is open (the library doesn't have to pay for their use of the building).  We will leave the artifacts at the school for now.

We also discussed setting up a meeting date with the town council to address this and other issues.

We met at Darlene Rogers' house and presented her with a framed picture of her house as it looked when it was built.

Our next meeting place will be at the Spicer's on King Avenue.


Rss_feed